A Different View

It’s been a while since I posted to the blog site, in honesty so much has happened over the past couple of months I kind of forgot about it, or maybe I should say I put it on the back burner for a while. First off we had to have open heart engine surgery as poor old Hannah the Narrowboat suffered a broken injection pipe and the fuel was leaking into the sump – that was not the end of it though as we also needed new valves and a whole host of other stuff so basically we had a complete top end rebuild. Whilst Hannah was at the boat doctors my wife Lee decided to come out in sympathy and have a bit of surgery herself. No, not the cosmetic type, she had her Gall Bladder out along with the fixing of an umbilical hernia! Once she was fit enough to move around a little we decided what better place to relax and recover than to get ourselves back aboard Hannah the Narrowboat, which is where we have now been for the last couple of weeks.

We had planned a three week cruise down the Grand Union Canal to Tring for Chillfest (a music festival) before the spanner was put in the works but I for one was not going to let that worry me, so long as I am aboard Hannah The Narrowboat I am happy enough. As soon as we arrived at the marina and could see the boat a smile appeared on my face. I’m home.

I was also looking forward to playing with my toys I got for my 50th birthday (I know it’s really hard to believe that I am so ancient!). I was lucky enough to get a GoPro Karma package which includes the GoPro Hero 5 action camera, a stabilisation device and a drone. On top of that I got an iPad Pro 12.9″ so now I have a completely mobile video package to make even more terrible films! I can also do some proper work on it too which is how I sold it to my mum and my wife!

It was not long before I persuaded the better half that I am quite capable of handling Hannah The Narrowboat on my own and that we should venture out onto the cut so I could have a little play with my new toys – I was desperate to get the drone onto the air! Just for the record, or perhaps more aimed at the people who seem to unjustifiably dislike drones and think that anyone that’s flies them is a rapscallion with no responsibility I actually took out 3rd party liability insurance which covers me up to £5m and joined a government approved scheme for responsible drone flying. We only had to travel about 1.5 miles to the spot I thought would be best for my maiden flight, a big open field right next to the canal. You can see my first attempt at flying below. I really hope I don’t get whinged at too much as it would be fantastic to get some good footage of the canal system (and our own travels) from above – a completely different perspective.

After the inaugural flight we moved on up towards Heyford Fields for a couple of days before heading back to Gayton Marina as Lee had invited a couple of her clients for a day out aboard Hannah the Narrowboat. I have to say it was wonderful to spend a couple of days with my good lady out on the cut after what has seemed an eternity! I shot some more video, took lots of photos (inbetween proper work as I don’t really get a holiday being a self employed graphic designer) and generally took in the views whilst the good lady convalesced (slept lol).

We headed back to Gayton Marina in time for her visitors and she seemed to be well on the road to recovery but is was not to last despite my warning but we will get to that later. Jack and Cheryl arrived on the Saturday morning and after the usual pleasantries I cast off and headed back out onto the Grand Union Canal for a repeat of our last journey. It’s a nice little run from Gayton Marina to Heyford Fields Marina which takes us around an hour and three quarters at a gentle pace. The weather was a little inclement and it was not too long before I was wet – the girls were all inside up front viewing the scenery from the cratch. The ladies serviced me well with a hat and some cider so I was more than happy to continue chugging along!

As standard once we arrived at Heyford and had moored up the Lotus Grill came out and a BBQ was initiated and again, as standard we cooked more meat than we could possibly eat!. Obviously the ale/cider/lager/wine flowed before a little chill out and a head back to the marina.

We certainly slept after that day out on the cut!

The following few days were a bit of a setback for my good lady. Sadly a family member on her side had recently died and she wanted to go down to London for the funeral. I was not so sure she was up for it but could totally understand why she wanted to attend. I pleaded with her to take it very slowly and after dropping her off with her sister in Ampthill I was confident they would all look after her as she was still pretty delicate even though she would not admit it. She got through the day OK but the following day she slept in until after 2pm. It had really worn her out and to be honest I think it has put her recovery back at least a week.

That’s about all for this post and I promise it won’t be so long before the next post (I am working on it already).

Rain Showers at Gayton Marina

Leave a Reply